Mr Brockbanks’s body lay in the bedroom of his flat at Northumbria University until his family reported him missing after not hearing from him for several days.

Staff from the 24-year-old’s university raised the alarm and police visited his home and discovered he had been murdered.

Northumbria Police launched a murder investigation and arrested Ray when CCTV footage from September 24 last year showed him and his partner returning to Mr Brockbanks accommodation on the evening that he was stabbed.

Ray, from Sunderland, was charged with murder and denied the offence, claiming that he had been attacked by his lover and had acted in self-defence.

But he was found guilty by a jury today after a seven-day trial at Newcastle Crown Court. The 21-year-old is set to be sentenced at the same court on Thursday.

Mr Brockbanks’s family has issued a tribute to their son.

In a statement they said: “We would like to thank the police for all their assistance and support throughout this matter and the prosecution barrister and their team.

“We would also like to thank the jury for making the correct decision.”

READ MORE: Netflix sounds ‘death knell’ with Harry after replicating Diana’s car

“We would like to thank Jason’s friends and the Mansion Tyne staff for their support throughout the trial.

“We miss our beloved son dearly and we are thankful we have justice for Jason.”

Senior investigating officer Detective Inspector Tomasz Fowler, of Northumbria Police, said: “First and foremost I would like to pay tribute to Jason’s family for the strength and courage they have shown throughout the legal process.

“Their lives have been devastated by his death and we once again express our condolences to them.

“We sincerely hope that today’s conviction provides a degree of closure.”

The officer added: “Aaron Ray showed no regard for Jason’s life and has deservedly been convicted of his murder.

“On the night he killed Jason, he disposed of the murder weapon and fled the scene, failing to notify the emergency services that Jason had been seriously injured.

“If he had raised the alarm and called 999, Jason could still be alive today.

“Jason had been enjoying living in the North East after moving to the region and had his whole life ahead of him.

“We thank the jury for seeing through his lies and providing justice for Jason’s family and friends.”

*This story has not been edited by The Infallible staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.