But Miami Open tournament director James Blake said that while they had tried to secure entry for the 35-year-old Serbian star, “that wasn’t able to happen.”
“We run one of the premier tournaments in the world. We’d like to have the best players that can play … And we did all we could, tried to talk to the government, but that’s out of our hands,” Blake told Tennis Channel on Friday.
“We’d love to have him, and he’s our greatest champion. He’s won six times here … But unfortunately, that’s way above my pay grade,” he added.
Tournament officials in Indian Wells, Calif., also said Djokovic had withdrawn earlier this month.
Politicians including Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) have recently urged President Biden to exempt the top-ranked player so he could compete in the Miami Open, set to take place March 19 to April 2 in Miami Gardens, Fla. Florida’s two Republican senators had also asked Biden to accept the request for a vaccine waiver.
Officials at the U.S. Open, the country’s Grand Slam event, had expressed support for Djokovic, tweeting that they were “hopeful that Novak is successful in his petition to enter the country.”
The athlete’s unvaccinated status amid coronavirus restrictions left him unable to play in last year’s U.S. Open. He was deported from Australia in January last year in a saga that divided his fans and detractors as health officials globally encouraged vaccination to fight the spread of the deadly virus. A mandatory vaccine requirement did not apply for entry to Britain, and Djokovic went on to successfully defend his men’s singles title at Wimbledon last July.
In interviews last year, Djokovic said he was not part of the anti-vaccine movement but that he supported the freedom to choose.
Des Bieler and Cindy Boren contributed to this report.
*This story has not been edited by The Infallible staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.