A Sutton Coldfield hospital was evacuated after people inside reportedly “felt nauseous”. Firefighters evacuated Sutton Cottage Hospital this afternoon following reports of an unknown spillage. West Midlands Ambulance Service said three people have been assessed after falling ill. They are expected to be discharged from the scene. Police closed a section of Birmingham Road, where the hospital is based, both ways.
A West Midlands Fire Service spokesperson said: “We were called at 2.02pm with reports of a spillage of an unknown chemical on the ground floor of Sutton Coldfield Cottage Hospital. We sent crews from Sutton Coldfield and Erdington and a hazardous materials team.
“The hospital is being evacuated at the moment. We are trying to establish what it is and the quantity of it.”
In an update, it appears adhesive that was being used by maintenance workers on Birmingham Road made its way into the building through an open window.
Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust which operates the site, used for outpatient physiotherapy treatment and offices, said there had been “a minor incident with minimal disruption”.
“Some maintenance workers were using an adhesive on the external drainage of Sutton Cottage Hospital.
“Some fumes from that adhesive appear to have been smelt inside via an open window. Someone attending a clinic complained of feeling unwell and so ambulance service called as a precaution and the building evacuated for about 20 minutes,” the trust added.
West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman Murray MacGregor said: “We were called to reports of three members of staff at Sutton Cottage Hospital feeling unwell after breathing in fumes from work that was ongoing near where they worked.
West Midlands Fire Service said: “We understand that three members of staff needed precautionary checks from the ambulance service, after having apparently breathed in fumes.”
“Two fire engines attended, crewed by 10 firefighters from Sutton and Erdington fire stations. The first arrived three minutes after being mobilised.”
The service said crews wearing breathing apparatus and using specialist gear were working to establish the full circumstances.
Meanhwhile a cordon has been set up as a precautionary measure.
Traffic is beginning to ease after police reopened Birmingham Road outside the hospital.
A patient attending the clinic raised the alarm after becoming unwell from the fumes that had made their way into the building.
The maintenance workers had been using the adhesive on the external drainage of Sutton Cottage Hospital.
*This story has not been edited by The Infallible staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.